Tuesday, June 01, 2010

Asthma

The beginning of summer started out with a little cold that turned into asthma. The last time I had an asthma attack was one year ago- the very same month. Before that, I avoided asthma for 5 1/2 years! Asthma medication is life saving, but it can also cause side-effects. In my case, one of the meds caused hormonal imbalances that I'm still dealing with 3 months later! Whenever I get a cold, I take tons of infection fighting essential oils and vitamins to avoid bronchial/asthma problems. Even though I tried my best to fight it off, I couldn't this time. The only thing I can figure is that I was due for a trial, and a trial it was! I learned a lot though about myself and as always through our trials we become more dependent on Heavenly Father. We also grow to understand more of what the Savior did for us and how much he loves each of us. The scripture that kept coming to my mind during all of this was the one in Doctrine and Covenants where God is talking to Joseph Smith who is in Liberty Jail. Joseph prayed to him for help and God told him that his adversity and affliction would only be for a small moment. If he endured it well, he would have eternal life. Staying close to the Lord, especially when we experience trials, causes us to have greater faith and the desire to be more obedient. These are blessings because they help keep us on the path to return to our heavenly homes someday. So even though trials are never fun when we're in them, they are part of life and they make us stronger!
I made a bracelet that says "Buteyko". This is the Russian breathing method I've used over the years to reverse asthma attacks. I decided I needed a refresher course, so I went through a series of skype sessions with Buteyko Center USA in Woodstock NY.
Now of course, I guess one can never say "never." However, with Buteyko breathing, essential oils, vitamins, and trying to stay healthy, I really do hope I don't have to go through this again. Colin forwarded me this interesting water drinking study conducted by Japanese scientists which supposedly "cures" certain diseases- asthma/allergies being one of them. I will be incorporating that into my daily health routine as soon as I can go for more than an hour without eating! My metabolism is still too fast to wait a whole 2 hours to eat. What you do is drink three 8 oz glasses of water when you first wake up (even before brushing). Then after 45 minutes, you can eat food and drink liquid. Then after you've finished b-fast (this goes for lunch and dinner too), you wait 2 hours and don't eat or drink anything. After 2 hours you have your next meal then wait another 2 hours (no eating or drinking) and have your next meal, until your day is done. I know, it sounds a bit strange and maybe even hoaky, but I don't see how it can hurt, and I'm all for trying anything I can to increase health and avoid sickness! Hand me some water, please!
We did a lot of hanging out in my room, playing around with different hair styles (this was all Tiffy) and the older kids did a lot of babysitting this summer while I tried to get better. It was an extremely busy time for Colin with BDB, so it was stressful on everyone. We made it through though, somehow.
Mom came to visit and help out. We were at the park near our house and the twins decided to decorate our hair with weeds! I think it's a very attractive style!



Thanks for coming to help Mom! We both look a little wiped out here, don't we?!

No comments:

Post a Comment