Tuesday, August 24, 2010

Planting!

Gardening has been important to me and close to my heart ever since we lived in Pleasant Grove. We were going thru some tough financial times. Our backyard was weeds instead of grass, and we hadn't cleared a space to plant a garden. We had so many friends and neighbors bring us produce from their gardens that summer. I remember arranging all the produce we got in baskets and taking a picture of it because I always wanted to remember our friends who helped us out when we needed it, and the blessing it was to have garden. I decided that in the future, I would always plant a garden. Last summer, we planted quite a large garden that produced very well. We couldn't give it away or eat it fast enough! We had loads of spinach, lettuce, and other veggies. The boys grew their own plots of vegetables of their choice, and they did great! Colin did almost all of the planting, which was a big job. We had fun singing while we weeded with Ally and Nicky. This summer however, I was sick, or it was raining on the days when I felt I could plant, so it didn't happen. I wanted so badly to follow the prophet's counsel of planting a garden! Finally, I started feeling better in August, so the kids and I planted the cooler weather crops such as spinach, lettuce, and peas. As we were planting, the primary song, "The Lord said we must plant a garden, so that's what we'll do!" kept running thru my head. I was feeling great about planting and couldn't wait for it to grow! While Tiffany was planting seeds, she would say, "where I pud?" (put) every single time! I would point to a spot in the dirt, and she would put her seed there.
So, we got some good lettuce and spinach after a while, but not much. The pea plants grew, but no peas grew on them. I ate several salads, fresh from the garden, which I loved. Then one morning I woke up at 7:30am and thought to myself in a panic, "I turned the water on at 3:00 yesterday, and I haven't turned it off!" I had completely forgotten. Evidently, 16 1/2 hours of straight water on a garden isn't so great for it. After that, we didn't get much more. Well, at least there's always next year!


No comments:

Post a Comment