
When the
Bringhams came for Thanksgiving, Dan gave us this rather strange looking squash he had grown.

Not knowing what this squash was even called, or how we were going to eat all of it (or any of it!), we cut it open to see what it looked like. I should have used a chain saw because it was very difficult to cut open- even with a very sharp knife! To our surprise, it was sweet! We all kept coming up with different things it tasted like: cucumber, cantaloupe,
jicama, watermelon, honeydew, carrots...it really was a multi-flavored squash! We tried to combine all these foods into one name, and finally, Devon came up with "Dan-a-lope" because Dan grew it, and because it tasted like a cantaloupe (among other things!).

What to do with a huge Dan-a-lope? Make muffins, of course! I cut it up in chunks, pureed it raw with some water...

...my helpers helped me,

and we used the following recipe, replacing the sweet potato with the Dan-a-lope.

I always use honey in place of white or brown sugar. Healthier, tastier, and more moist!

I stuck the extra bags of puree in the freezer.

And how were the muffins, you ask?

Simply amazing! I can't make them fast enough! Thanks for the Dan-a-lope, Dan! You can bring us another one next year. :)
No comments:
Post a Comment