Friday, May 11, 2012

More Than Compassion orphanage in Huehuetenango

We had quite the adventure finding our way to Huehuetenango.  We asked for directions on several occasions (so thankful Greg is fluent in Spanish or else we'd probably still be driving!).  Even though some locals discouraged us from taking the dirt road, we didn't want to turn all the way around and go back to Xela.  It turned out to be a beautiful drive! We saw Guatemalan people working their fields with their families, washing clothes in the streams, collecting wood for fires, herding sheep, and everything else they do for survival on a daily basis.  I am still struck by how tough the Guatemalan people are, and how happy, friendly, and helpful they are.  You will see an 80 or 90 year old woman or man with a huge load of sticks on their back, trudging up a hill in flip flops and traditional Guatemalan dress.  You will also see small children at their mother's side sorting through firewood, or carrying large loads themselves.  Crippled people hobble along with makeshift crutches, living their lives because they have no other options.  I have on more than one occasion felt like a "wimpy American."  Especially the time I asked Colin to carry my water bottle because it was too heavy.  Wow...really?!  I am strengthened as I watch the people of this beautiful country, and reminded how much the human body and mind are capable of.
Emily took this darling picture of a cute puppy along our drive.  Have I mentioned there are tons of dogs in this country?!
This is More Than Compassion orphanage.  We never would have known this orphanage even existed had we not went to the Natural Reserve for Calvin and Ty's birthdays.  When we were waiting for the zip-line, we met a young man named Brookes, and his friend Stephanie.  We got to talking, and turns out he volunteers at this very orphanage!  He welcomed us to come visit any time.  Since it was only a few hours away from the temple, we figured it would be a fun addition to our temple trip.  This is a great orphanage with such happy children.  We're so glad we went and hope to return at least one more time before we leave Guatemala. 
When we first arrived, there was a party going on with a clown and singing/dancing, and food.  A group had fundraised for the orphanage to provide enough money to instal some kind of hot water system which will cut their heating bill in half, and provide better living.  So, this was their celebration day! 
Each room of children has an older girl in charge.  So a girl of maybe 14 years of age, is in charge of 10-12 younger children.  She helps them get dressed and ready for bed each day and night.  Everyone has chores and various responsibilities.   
Here we are in the baby room.

This is the sweetest little girl!  This little girl began to cry, and it was such a sweet, pathetic, little helpless cry.  My friend Rachel was holding her and realized this baby was looking around for someone familiar, and not finding anyone.  Rachel commented that this poor baby was looking for her mamma, but she doesn't have one.  Can you imagine the emptiness from not having that one secure person in your life- your parents- and being passed around from one care-giver to the next? I sat on the swing with her later and sang "I Am a Child of God" to her.  When it was time to go, I told her tearfully that she is a daughter of God, and that He loves her very much.  It was hard to set her down and leave.  Luckily, there are many wonderful people at the orphanage, including the older orphan children, who take good care of these kids, and love them very much.  





These girls were fascinated with the twins' hair!  This was probably the first time they had ever seen or touched African American hair.  Tameeka felt pretty special as she was in the spotlight for several minutes!
Talking with some American volunteers who are serving at the orphanage as a church group.
This little guy collected lots of goodies after the pinata broke open.  I thought it was interesting that most of the kids went after the oranges over the candy! 
Tyrese taking a few swings. 
This is the gate to the baby room, so the little ones can't escape!  I wish I would have gotten a picture with some sweet girls ages 14-16.  They had all kinds of questions for us, and we were trying in our limited Spanish to answer them.  They asked if our younger kids knew they were adopted, and many other adoption questions.  They didn't really understand the concept of home school, but thought it was interesting.  After talking and laughing, and having a good time for about 30 minutes, one of the girls asked when we were coming back.  I told her, "no se..." because I really didn't know if or when we'd even be coming back.  I've never seen someone's face fall like that.  I'll never forget the look on her face.  It wasn't one of drama...it was the face of a young girl who has experienced disappointment and loss in her life, and was now experiencing it again.  I gave she and her friend a big hug when we left.  I wish I could have spoken fluently with her, but I think she felt my love for her.  If you want to learn more about More Than Compassion, you can view some of the children in this video: 
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EObkzdhsL2A&hd=1.  There are several ways to help, including sponsoring a child for only $30 per month.  

No comments:

Post a Comment