Wednesday, November 28, 2012

Calvin's Eagle Project

Hello Everyone!  
My name is Calvin Kelly, and I am working on my Eagle Scout Award.  For my final service project, I am going to Guatemala, and installing Onil Fuel Efficient Stoves, for the poor families that need them.  These families can't afford the Onil Stoves, so I have created this video fundraiser to ask for your donations.

My goal is to raise enough money for 10 of these stoves, so I will greatly appreciate any donation! 


Watch my video here
How to Donate:

The Onil stoves cost $186 each.  However, you may choose how much you would like to donate, you don't have to pay the whole cost.
Even a small donation will help a lot!

BONUS!!

For the people who donate enough money for one stove,  I will create a special Recognition Page!

On this page, I will post your name, and a picture of the family you helped.  I will also record what the family says as a thank you, and post it as well.

(If you would like to send me a picture of yourself/ your family, I will give it to the family receiving your stove so they can recognize you helped them). 

If you Donate enough for one stove, please email me at calvinkelly2010@gmail.com and let me know.

To donate, click on this (Donate Now) link, which will take you to the Mayan Families donation page.  Scroll down to the bottom of the page and you will see this:


In the "Community Aid" section, type the amount you would like to donate (A full donation is $186 but partials are greatly appreciated).

In the "Extra Notes" section, type, "Stove Donation For Calvin Kelly's Eagle Project".

Then Submit your form.

Click on this (Donate Now) link to go to the Mayan Families donation page.

Note: All of the money you give will go toward the stove (I won't make a profit from it, this is a service project).

Thank you!

More about the Onil Stoves:

BEFORE
Right now, this is how many poor Guatemalan families cook their meals. This is called a "three stone fire."  A pot is balanced on three stones, and a fire is built underneath.
This not only wastes wood, but the smoke from the fire is trapped inside the house, and the family suffers from smoke inhalation.


AFTER
The Onil stove is mostly made of bricks, cement, ceramic, volcanic rock, ash, and a chimney.

It is a wood burning stove, but is engineered in a way that the smoke efficiently stays in the stove to help heat it, and then escapes out the chimney.

Because of this, it doesn't use as much wood as a three stone fire, and the smoke can no longer be inhaled.


The volcanic rocks absorbe the heat, and keeps the stove hot.  The ash keeps the rocks from getting too hot and burning.

With only four sticks of wood, the surface of the stove will be hot enough to boil water in four minutes.

A hole is cut into the roof for the chimney.  The hole is sealed shut, and the smoke will leave the house.

1 comment:

  1. Wow, what a worth while Eagle Project! I wish we could be working side by side with you. Great video, too, Calvin. (The Royal boys all did Eagle Projects through Deseret Industries. Had it occurred to me I could take them around the world for their projects . . . well, who knows? Way to think outside the box.)

    ReplyDelete