Wednesday, January 08, 2014

Sign Language at Eagle's Nest Orphanage

Gabriel is about 5 years old and deaf. I came to Eagle's Nest a few times and worked with the special ed teachers, teaching some words in ASL (deaf people use Guatemalan sign, but I don't know that).  They were so enthusiastic and eager to learn! We had a blast:)  I also used the "what's in my purse?"game to teach some signs.  Though he had never seen sign before, Gabriel learned a ton of words! It was so fun seeing the light literally go on in his eyes when I showed him a picture, and the corresponding sign.  He learned well over 20 words in a  short time.  Very smart boy, trapped in a silent world because of lack of communication skills.  

I taught many of the emotion words like "tired".  Those are fundamental in helping a child identify and express how he feels. 
"I'm fine" 
I just love Jenny! She's concentrating hard on what I was teaching Gabriel.  
"learn"
"smart" 
Meeka loves holding the babies!
We had some friends we just met come with us.  Katie's friend, Ocean, was outside with the kids, playing frisbee (he visits many orphanages with frisbees he makes, and plays with the kids).  
This little sweetheart didn't let Emily put her down.  Finally she gave her to the main caretaker and we were able to leave:)
This cutie loved my Mayan Treasure jewelry.  I always wear a necklace like this when we go to Eagle's Nest, because I love to hold the babies, and they love to play with my shiny stone necklaces.  If they're scared of me at first, they seem to adjust quickly if they have something to occupy themselves with:)
I don't know how long she had been at the orphanage, but she didn't want any of us to get near her! Lots of tears with new people, bless her heart!
Lots of the kids had face paint on, so it must have been an art project they were doing that day. 
Cute little guy! Sadly, this is the condition of so many teeth among little children.  Dental hygiene is ignored by many, and soda pop is the drink of choice, even for infants.  

No comments:

Post a Comment