Monday, September 09, 2013

Macrame Jewelry

I've had a lot of interest in my jewelry project! I will be bringing back a pouch full of bracelets and necklaces to sell in the U.S., and all of the profit I will give to the women who made them.  It's a great way for them to earn income they couldn't make in Guatemala. Some days we've spent 5-6 hours at our kitchen table, and it's been really fun getting to know these women better, and seeing their own creativity come out with the pieces they are making. 





In my recent trip to FL, I sold all of these bracelets in less than 12 hours on FB!
We don't use anything fancy....just cooking pots with jars inside.  Whoever gets the jar with the almonds, get's to snack while they tie knots:) 

Thank goodness for Emily, who is my assistant teacher! When 6 women have questions at the same time, it can get pretty crazy!
Lucy came and helped one day, and I was so grateful for her Spanish conversation skills, and her help with the jewelry as well!
This is Candi, who works for us doing our cleaning.  Her sweet daughter had a fever, but she told her mom she wanted to stay rather than go home.  They don't have the best situation at home.  It really touched my heart to see her asleep next to her mom, as she worked on her necklace.
This woman brought her 18 year old son, who has kidney failure.  He needs a kidney transplant, so they are doing everything they can do to earn money to help him. 

No comments:

Post a Comment